Wikipedia

Search results

Tuesday 15 April 2014

Gate Preparation Tips

Hi friends, this is Binoy. I belong to lovely city Barrackpore, Kolkata. Currently I'm a final year B.Tech student (C.S.E) of Kalyani Govt. Engineering College. With the support of thousand of people(friends, teachers and seniors), I have been able to secure A.I.R 74 this year. I just want to thank all of them. Many of them  request me to share how I've prepared for G.A.T.E. That's why I'm writing this.

Discrete Mathematics : 
The most important subject for C.S.E branch (with respect to GATE) is Discrete Mathematics. I have followed LIPSCHUTZ , Pulak Kundu and Rosen (for last few days). Lipschutz is just a nice book, clearly explained theorems, thousands of solved problems, diagrams were really helpful. I also suggest you Pulak Kundu because of solved examples, it's very helpful for gate purpose. Graph theory is explained probably in the best way in Rosen. Except this, I have followed N.P.T.E.L lectures of Prof. Kamala Krithivasan (http://www.cse.iitm.ac.in/~kamala/). Besides I will recommend to follow world wide web for any kind of query.

Engineering Mathematics :

For Engineering Mathematics, I have followed study material of Gateforum and  Das Paul's Book. Frankly specking I've not followed any specific book(s) for the subject. For Calculus part I suggest you to follow Lecture videos of coursera.org (https://class.coursera.org/calc1-002). Follow any standard book or Internet (I have gone with 2nd one :) ) for Numerical Methods.

Automata Theory : 

Next is Theory of Computation. I have followed study material of Gateforum and few lecture videos of Prof. Kamala Krithivasan (http://www.cse.iitm.ac.in/~kamala/) in NPTEL. Because  I have followed it a bit seriously during my Engineering course study, that's why have faced less trouble in the subject. But believe me, it's the toughest subject if you won't study seriously.

Computer Networks, Operating System and DBMS : 

Very crucial period for G.A.T.E preparation is 6th semester because you have to study three utmost important subjects DBMS, Computer Networks and Operating System in that time (and in GATE, about 12  to 15 questions are asked from this part). Follow any standard text book for each of them. I have studied Galvin and lecture videos of Dr. P.K.Biswas of IITKGP (http://www.facweb.iitkgp.ernet.in/~pkb/) for Operating System, Navathe and lecture videos of IITM (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuSBAOpXjU0&list=PLB8B47AC082C3A00A) for D.B.M.S and Forouzan and lecture videos of Coursera (probably the best videos for Computer Networks) for Computer Networks.

Data Structure and Algorithms : 
For Data Structure and Algorithm, follow C.L.S.R (bible of algorithm). Besides I've followed Mark Alen Weiss and Online Tutorials. Lecture videos of Prof. Naveen Garg of IITD (http://www.cse.iitd.ernet.in/~naveen/index.html) was very helpful. Do coding as much as possible, if helps you to solve many problem at a glance and helps to save time. Follow any standard book for C, if u have studied C during engineering course study, no need to follow any specific book for GATE purpose.

Computer Organisation and Digital Electronics :
Followed Morish Mano for Computer Organisation and Digital Electronics. N.P.T.E.L lectures for both the subjects were a bit helpful.

Others : 
Don't know what actually to follow for Aptitude, Software Engineering and Web Technology (Probably you guys know better than me :) :)).
P.S :  Forget to mention one more thing, treat each gate questions since 1996 as a chapter, study all relevant concepts and solve related numerical.
That's all friends, if u have anything to ask, please comment or drop me a mail at ernstbinoy@gmail.com. All the very best.

16 comments:

  1. Automata te Peterlinz kemn?????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good one, really a good book

      Delete
    2. thnx...
      r IIT r jonno jemn mcq practice book pawa jay GATE er jonno orom boi pawa jay????

      Delete
    3. Hmm there r, but i advice u to not to buy any such book. I have bought 2 books, nd believe me it's just waste of money. Go through gate questions. That's more than enough. :)

      Delete
  2. Can i appear in Gate exam during my 3rd year of B.Tech?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, In order to appear for gate exam, you have to have your B.tech Results for first 6 semesters (at least).

      Delete
  3. to study more than one book for one subject may create trouble in last days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what is your opinion about ross for graph theory.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi can u provide me the link for networking coursera

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure
      https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLkHsKoi6eZnzJl1qTzmvBwTxrSJW4D2Jj

      Delete
  6. What's your opinion about ravindrababu ravula e classes ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't registered for his course. But, I have heard from my friends that his material and questions are good.

      Delete
  7. What's your opinion about ravindrababu ravula e classes ?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is it possible to crack gate cse without joining coaching classes?

    ReplyDelete